Happy end-of-weekend! The lovely Nikki reviewed a Michael Todd lipgloss a while back and found that she didn't really like the colour. Being the weird person I am, I take random risks with non-conventional lip shades, using black eyeliner for makeshift high-fashion lips and usually avoiding the classically beautiful red lip. Turns out that with my growing comfort and confidence with fashion and makeup in college, no matter how crazy the colour, the more I try being a daredevil, the better the payoff. When I asked her about it, Nikki so sweetly replied that she would gladly let me try it out and sent an awesome love package. Thank you so much, beautiful girl!
She included a cute card letter that made me smile so big, a Laneige makeup remover, matte black shadow with the cutest bow on it, and the Disco lipgloss. I use the Laneige mini bottle for eyeliner removal and it's great. I heard from a MUA somewhere that you shouldn't use cleansers that foam a lot. This one doesn't so I guess that's good!
Disco has a gorgeous vampy feel that's not too Halloween, so I would wear this every day for fall. I can imagine it contrasts well with a fading summer tan, lots of slimming dark clothing and thigh high boots, and smokey/neutral eyes. I absolutely adore the packaging - I like all the purple that Michael Todd Cosmetics have and the square glass tube that reminds me of Twilight Beauty. When you look at the bottle, there are small red sparkles but on the lips, they don't show up. For me, I don't like a lot of frost and shimmer in lip products - I'm more into opaque, vibrant matte textures.
There are two ways I wear Disco:
- Method 1: Dab a few times on my upper and lower lips and blend out with fingers. This gives a beautiful rosy colour that is matte, doesn't catch hair on a windy day, and stays forever! I can eat, drink, make out with a wall, and it will not come off. This is probably the best unexpected lip stain I have ever tried or seen. See a FOTD using this method here.
- Method 2: Fully apply it all over lips. This will take just a bit more product and the colour deepens into a richer vampy red/violet. There is more sheen involved in this method - perfect fall look.
The only real downside I see to this lipgloss is that it does stain dried lips, so make sure your lips are super exfoliated before you apply this. Some people may feel this is too dark on them but I think if you use Method 1, it is extremely wearable on any skintone. This lipgloss is definitely a buildable one.
- Rich, beautiful colour
- Lip stain power!
- Matte finish if use a tiny bit of product
- Stylish packaging
- Didn't know it had SPF15 good stuff
- Stains dried lips
- Colour may be too dark for some
- Price? This retails for $17.00 USD
Verdict: This is one of my favourite lipglosses/lip products of all time simply because of its unique colour. I prefer using Method 1 because it's more wearable and I can't wait to proudly show off my autumn-stained lips this fall!
Would I (re)purchase?
If I run out, maybe. This tube will last me forever though : )
Thank you for all the comments and tips on my last post about the funky photo colour wash-out business. When I head back to campus, I'm going to ask some photographer friends to help me figure this out. For now, at least Mac users on Firefox can enjoy what seems to be true-to-colour photos xD I uploaded a lot of the swatches using Imageshack again. Leave some love for Nikki and get excited for an outfit post tomorrow :D !